Thursday, March 7, 2013

Quickly open OBIEE Admin Client in Online Mode

Something I have found myself doing quite often is checking who is connected in OBIEE prior to doing a deployment. The quickest/easiest means I have found is to fire up the Admin Client, and look at the sessions. This allows me to know if I need to notify anyone (and who), prior to taking down the server.

What was always a pain was to go through the multiple steps to open the client, choose Open in Online mode, and select my connection, across multiple environments. Luckily this can be scripted!

Continue on to read the steps to quickly script opening the Admin Client directly in Online mode.
The Admin Client has a command line interface, but it is undocumented. Essentially what I did was create a Windows BAT file with the following:

start C:\ofmw\obiee11g\Oracle_BI1\bifoundation\server\bin\admintool.exe /command C:\ofmw\scripts\dev.txt

All you need to change is the path to your Admin Client and the path to the script. Note that you have to specify a script with the /command argument, you can't just type in the below code into the BAT file.

The script it calls just looks like:

OpenOnline "DEV OBIEE" biadmin oracle01 Admin123

There are 5 parameters:

  • OpenOnline - This tells the Admin Client to open a connection in Online Mode.
  • "DEV OBIEE" - This is the ODBC name of the server I want to connect to.
  • biadmin - This is the weblogic admin username.
  • oracle01 - This is the weblogic admin password.
  • Admin123 - This is the repository password.

1 comment: